There are currently no items in your cart
Aussie Christmas Shopping Moves Online
A record number of Aussie shoppers are set to move online this Christmas, according to a new nationwide survey. In preparation, Australia Post offers some tips for online shopping this Christmas.
A new Australia Post survey has revealed that 87 percent of people will do some or all of their Christmas shopping online this year, compared with only 52 percent last year.
As expected, convenience is the major factor driving people online. Not having to worry about trading hours and being able to shop at any time of the day were the primary factors motivating online shopping, followed by delivery convenience and the desire to avoid Christmas shopping crowds. The ability to easily compare prices and general time saving will also motive online shopping this Christmas.
According to the survey, the average Australian buys about ten Christmas presents and spends about $364 on gifts.
As a result, Australia Post is anticipating a record Christmas for parcel deliveries, with 1.3 million parcels per day expected to come through over the period.
Australia Post is making clear moves to help shoppers over the Christmas period. “We want to help make Christmas simpler so we’re gearing up our services with extended Post Office opening hours and weekend parcel deliveries,” said Christine Corbett, Executive General Manager, Postal and eCommerce Services at Australia Post. “To keep your gifts a secret, have them delivered to one of over 240 of our free 24/7 Parcel Locker locations or directly to a parcel collect point near work or home.”
As an organisation with a lot of Christmas experience under its belt, Australia Post has compiled this list of top tips for this year’s Christmas shopping.
- Create an online shopping list and stick to it.
- Manage your budget by using prepaid debit cards or something similar to avoid getting caught up in the shopping moment.
- Shop early — don’t leave gift buying to the last minute.
- When shopping online, check the shipping options and ensure you leave enough time for your parcels to arrive.
- Keep your gifts a surprise by disguising your online shopping with specially designed Disguise Packaging options.
- You can also keep your gifts secret by having parcels delivered to your place of work, or to a parcel collect location at a Post Office or Parcel Locker.
- Take advantage of online shopping sales or events in the lead up to the holiday season.
- Sign up to retail e-newsletters to help keep you up to date with sales and free shipping dates leading up to Christmas.
- Search online shopping blogs and social media pages as they’ve often got their finger on the pulse for great gift ideas and sales.
- Shop online safely by ensuring any purchases are made via a SSL (secure sockets layer) enabled site.